free trial issue subscribe back issues
Fig.1: The Temple of Horus at Kom Ombo (photo: Frith et al. 1862).
In this 1858 calotype, Frith shows the half-buried ruins of the temple of the falcon god Horus at Kom Ombo, in a condition nearly identical to that portrayed by the artists of the French expedition sixty years previously, in 1799. This, and the adjacent ruins at Kom Ombo of the Temple of Sobek, the crocodile god, were first excavated not long after Frith's visit by the French archaeologist Auguste Mariette
While most of the visible ruins at Kom Ombo date from the Ptolemaic and Roman periods (150 BC-AD 270), New Kingdom remains from the 18th Dynasty (1550-1307 BC) were also found by Champollion during his 1828-9 visit to the site.
Athena Review Image Archive™ | Guide to Archaeology on the Internet | free trial issue | subscribe | back issues
index of Athena Review |
| Research Pages |
Copyright © 1996-2010 Athena Publications, Inc. (All Rights Reserved).