Athena Review Image Archive  

Temple of Cleopatra at Ermont (1849 photo)
    .



Temple of Cleopatra at Ermont (photo: Maxime du Camp, 1849). 




Ermont, just south of Thebes, held an 11th Dynasty temple to the war deity Montu. The temple was added to in the 12th Dynasty and then rebuilt by Thutmose III in the 18th Dynasty.  

Between 45-31 BC, Cleopatra erected a monument to her son Caesarion, now called the Temple of Cleopatra.   The caption by du Camp reads: "Temple of Hermontis, at Ermont. Built by Cleopatra in commemoration of the birth of Ptolemy Caesarion, son of Julius Caesar. -- All the dedications are made in the names of Cleopatra and Ptolemy Caesarion."

Later in the 19th century the site was razed and replaced by a sugar factory, with only a pylon erected by Thutmose III still standing today.


.

Athena Review Image Archive™     back issues 

Main index of Athena Review  


Copyright  ©  1996-2016    Athena Publications, Inc.  (All Rights Reserved).


Copyright  ©  2017 Rust Family Foundation