Athena Review Image Archive  

Temple of Cleopatra at Ermont (Roberts 1838)
    .



Temple of Cleopatra at Ermont, in background (photo: Frith 1862). 




Ermont (Greek Hermonthis) is  20 km south of Thebes.  In the Middle Kingdom (11th Dynasty) it held a temple to Montu, a bull-like war diety. The temple was expanded in the 12th Dynasty, and later rebuilt in the New Kingdom by Thutmose III.

During the Ptolemaic period, ca. 45-31, Cleopatra erected a monument to her son Caesarion, now called the Temple of Cleopatra.

Robert's view from 1838 shows the temple much as it was later photographed in 1849 by du Camp and in1857 by Frith. Later in the 19th century, the temple was demolished and replaced by a sugar factory. Of the ancient structures at Ermont, only a pylon erected by Thutmose III is still standing today.


.

Athena Review Image Archive™     back issues 

Main index of Athena Review  


Copyright  ©  1996-2016    Athena Publications, Inc.  (All Rights Reserved).


Copyright  ©  2017 Rust Family Foundation