Athena Review Image Archive  

Kom Ombo: Plan of the Temple of Horus and Sobek (1894)
    .



Plan of the Temple of Horus at Kom Ombo (after de Morgan 1895).




The double temple of the falcon god Horus and the crocodile god Sobek at Kom Ombo  dates from the beginning of the reign of  Ptolemy VI Philometor (180–145 BC), and was later added to by Ptolemy XIII (51–47 BC), who built the inner and outer hypostyle halls. Other additions were made in the Roman era. . Later much of the temple was removed for other buildings. In the early centuries AD, the temple interior was convented by Coptic Christians into a church.  

The temple buildings in the southern part of the plateau were cleared and restored by Jacques de Morgan in 1893-4. About 300 crocodile mummies were discovered in the vicinity. This topographic plan of the temple, taken from de Morgan's report of 1895, shows the temple complex on a ridge rising 20-35 meters above the Nile. 
.

Athena Review Image Archive™     back issues 

Main index of Athena Review  


Copyright  ©  1996-2016    Athena Publications, Inc.  (All Rights Reserved).


Copyright  ©  2017 Rust Family Foundation