Athena Review Image Archive  

Medinet Habu (1849 photo)
    .



Medinet Habu, general view of temple of Ramesses III (photo: du Camp 1852, pl.46).



Medinet Habu, located across the Nile from Thebes and the Palace at Karnak, was the mortuary temple site of Ramesses III. This early photo by Maxime du Camp shows the propylon or outer gate in the approach to the ruins, followed by the Pylon or gateway. In the left foreground are ruins of a Coptic village.

Du Camp's caption reads: "Medinet Habou, general view of the ruins. Propylons of Antoninus Pius. Ptolemaic pylons. Gatehouse [gynecee] of Ramses-Menamoun. Debris of the Coptic village of Papa."
 
.
.

Athena Review Image Archive™     back issues 

Main index of Athena Review  


Copyright  ©  1996-2016    Athena Publications, Inc.  (All Rights Reserved).


Copyright  ©  2017 Rust Family Foundation