Athena Review Image Archive  

Medinet Habu, ruined village of Papa (1849 photo)
    .



Ruins of the Coptic village at Medinet Habu (Du Camp, 1852, pl.53).


This image shows the remains of an early Christian, Coptic village at Medinet Habu, comprising a number of small rooms in houses built close together.  The town was built in the early centuries AD, then abandoned by the late 7th century.

Du Camp's caption reads: "Medinet Habou, ruins of the village of Papa.  Built of unfired bricks by Christians, around the palace at Medinet Habou; abandoned at the time when the Muselmans conquered Upper Egypt."


.
.

Athena Review Image Archive™     back issues 

Main index of Athena Review  


Copyright  ©  1996-2016    Athena Publications, Inc.  (All Rights Reserved).


Copyright  ©  2017 Rust Family Foundation