Athena Review Image Archive  

Saqqara: tomb of Hesy-ra after excavation in 1912

View facing north across the exposed substructure walls of the tomb of Hesy-ra  (Quibell 1914, pl. 3).

Tomb 2405, the tomb of Hesy-ra, was first excavated by August Mariette in the 1860s. It was investigated more thoroughly in 1911-1912  by James Quibell, whose exposure of part of the upper substructure is shown here. The tomb  had three sublevels excavated into limestone bedrock, the uppermost being 45 meters in length.

Athena Review Image Archive™     back issues 

Main index of Athena Review  

Copyright  ©  1996-2016    Athena Publications, Inc.  (All Rights Reserved).

Copyright  ©  2017 Rust Family Foundation