free trial issue subscribe back issues
The earlier structures at Chichén Itzá lie in the zone south of the modern road crossing the archaeological site. Nearly all date from the Late Classic period of AD 600-950, which preceded the Toltec takeover of the site in about AD 950-1000, when the northern, Postclassic zone of Chichén was reconstructed near the Cenote of Sacrifice.
Buildings in the Late Classic zone include a main cluster around the prominent Caracol and the multi-level Nunnery Complex, including the Iglesia, Monjas, Akab D'zib, Temple of the Wall Panels, Red House, House of the Deer, and Pyramid and Tomb of the High Priest. Near the Caracol is the Xtoloc Cenote. Outlying groups to the south, known as Chichén Viejo ("Old Chichén"), about 1-1.5 km distant from the Nunnery, include the Temple of the Three Lintels, Temple of the Four Lintels, Temple of the Phallus, and Castillo de Chichén Viejo.
The Late Classic zone was first accurately portrayed by Stephens and Catherwood in their Descriptions of Travel in Yucatán (1843), based on their visit of 1841.
[Fig.1: Plan of the Late Classic zone at Chichén Itzá (after Ruppert 1953).]
Athena Review Image Archive™ | Guide to Archaeology on the Internet | free trial issue | subscribe | back issues
index of Athena Review |
Copyright © 1996-2006 Athena Publications, Inc. (All Rights Reserved).