Pevensey Castle, used by Romans as a Saxon Shore fort in the 4th and early 5th centuries AD, is mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles as a place of refuge against invading Saxons in AD 491.
In AD 1066, the invading forces of William the Conqueror landed at Pevensey. His brother, Count Robert de Mortrain, used the old Roman fort at Pevensey as the outer bailey of a castle. The Norman castle was remodelled again in the12th and 13th centuries with a masonry keep, round fronted turrets, and the gatehouse of the inner bailey, which still survive, along with portions of the Roman fort.
[Fig.1: Turret and moat at Pevensey castle (photo: Athena Review).]
Athena Review Image Archive | Guide to Archaeology on the Internet | Paleoanthropology in the News | Free Issue
Main index of Athena
Copyright © 1996-2001 Athena Publications, Inc. (All Rights Reserved).