Athena Review Image Archive
Perhaps the best known monument of ancient Rome, the Colosseum was built by the Flavian emperors (Vespacian, Titus, and Domitian) on the site of the lake of Nero's Domus Aurea between AD 70 and 80, and was originally called the Flavian Amphitheater.
Situated just east of the Roman Forum, the Colosseum is a freestanding structure of stone, brick, and marble some 620 feet (190 m) in diameter, holding about 50,000 spectators in three tiers of stands. There were 80 entrance arches on the ground floor. This photo dates from about 1890.
[Fig.1: The Roman Colosseum exterior (Athena Review Image Archive).]
Athena Review Image Archive | Images of Rome | Publishing Index |
Main index of Athena Review | Subject Index | Travel Pages |
Copyright © 1996-9 Athena Publications, Inc. (All Rights Reserved).