The west side of the Castillo at Tulúm (drawn by Frederick Catherwood) has a wide staircase leading up to a two-room, vaulted temple at the summit. Most of the extant structure dates from the Maya Postclassic era of the 12th and 13th centuries AD.
When this drawing (published in John L. Stephen's Incidents of travel in Yucatan) was made in 1841, Stephens and Catherwood had just finished having the site cleared of overgrowth. A few trees are still shown growing on the staircase.
[Fig.1: Temple on Castillo at Tulúm (Stephens 1843).]
Athena Review Image Archive | Guide to Archaeology on the Internet | free trial issue | subscribe | back issues
index of Athena Review |
Copyright © 1996-2003 Athena Publications, Inc. (All Rights Reserved).